You know what’s great about Greek salads? The feta cheese and the Kalamata olives. I’m not a huge fan of eating a salad as my whole meal, but a side salad is a great way to complement any meal. They are also great for meal prep, and at less than $2 a serving, they are budget friendly as well (beat that, Panera)!
Words of wisdom: don’t put the salad dressing on until you are ready to eat.
A true Greek salad is typically made with romaine lettuce, red onions, black olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta(!), and seasonings. I’ve adapted my salad to my tastes, so I’ll show you how I usually make mine. If you are reading this and you follow 21 Day Fix, this will cover 1.5 green, 1 blue, 1 orange. If you don’t follow 21 Day Fix, then just move along. Nothing for you to see here.
The ingredients and steps provided will make 6 salads, and you’ll have a few leftover ingredients. I use Rubbermaid TakeAlongs 3.2 Cup bowls for my meal prep.
- 1 bag of spinach (I like spinach better than Romaine because it has slightly higher levels of iron, protein and calcium). $1.49
- 8 oz crumbled Feta cheese $3.98 (two 1.99 containers at my grocery store)
- 1 pint of grape/cherry tomatoes $1.79
- 1 English cucumber (personal preference) $1.29
- 1 cup Kalamata olives (I really like olives so I put a lot on my salads) $1.29
Total: $9.84, per serving (6) $1.64
So there are a few ways to go about this. Looking to cut back on calories? Use straight balsamic or red wine vinegar. Just a couple dabs since they are so strong. For some this is an acquired taste, and others can drink straight from the bottle (me). Also, for you 21 DF users, vinegars are a free food so you save yourself an orange container (which is used for the olives on the salad).
You can also make a basic balsamic vinaigrette with 3 parts oil and 1 part balsamic – or adjust if you want less oil. Ex: 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar. I recommend making a large-ish batch upfront so you aren’t trying to measure out dressing ingredients every time you want a salad.
If you like sweeter dressing, squeeze a couple drops of honey into the oil-balsamic mixture.
- Add 1 cup spinach to each bowl, cut off stems if desired.
- Chop tomatoes in half, add 1/4 cup to each bowl.
- Chop cucumber into slices, and then quarter into smaller chunks. Add 1/4 cup to each bowl.
- Cut about 5 olives in half (less or more is fine) and add to each bowl (for 21 Day Fix people, you can have 10 olives for an orange container)
- Add 1/4 cup of crumbled Feta to each bowl. The 4 oz container of Feta that I get at the store wasn’t enough so luckily I bought two. There will be left over Feta.
Here is where the meal prep is complete for the salads. Make the dressing and add desired amount when ready to eat!
I’ve added a handful of chickpeas for added protein or 1/4 cup red or green bell peppers for extra veggies. Remember that a real Greek salad will have red onions too!
Like what you see here? Check out my Instagram for food stories & cooking tips @the_novice_kitchen